Shilajit is a natural resource which is obtained from nature. It is extracted from the rocky mountains where the natural decomposition of plants occurs for thousands of years, due to the action of micro-organisms.
Shilajit, extracted from the mountains, is purified with cow’s milk or Triphala decoction.
According to Ayurveda, the Charaka Samhita in particular, Shilajit works as a Rasayana Aushadhi which helps cure or manage most significant ailments. It also helps to increase the longevity of a person. In addition, Shilajit helps prevent cell damage and decay thus maintaining and restoring their electrical potency. It also helps maintain proper metabolism, hormonal balance and releases stress.
The Charaka Samhita has also described some of Shilajit’s qualities as Anamla (not very sour), Kashaya (astringent), Katu in Vipaka (pungent taste post digestion), Na Ati Ushna, Na Ati Sheeta (neither very hot nor very cold). This lends Shilajit the ability to manage all the three Doshas of the body i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Shilajit also has a Yogvahi nature which means it is an excellent carrier. This property of Shilajit, helps it to carry all the essential nutrients and required supplements deep into the body thus helping build good health from inside.
There are some specific actions of Shilajit mentioned in ancient literature which further tells us how Shilajit works. These are –
· Chhedana Karma, which means excision or removal of toxins from the body. This property of Shilajit helps the aggravated Kapha dosha to expel out of the body easily.
· Vrishya, which means aphrodisiac. This property of Shilajit helps to maintain good sexual health of a person.
· Balya, which means to increase vitality and improve internal strength. This property of Shilajit helps it to maintain a good internal health of a person and provide strength to all the organs like the heart and the brain.
· Rasayana, which means rejuvenation. This property of Shilajit helps to maintain the overall health of a person that helps him to lead a healthy and disease-free life.
· Shilajit also works to improve metabolism because of its Deepan and Pachan properties, which makes it a good appetizer that improves digestion of an individual.
Besides all these properties, Shilajit is also considered as one of the best nervine tonics, which help to provide good nourishment to the nerves and maintain a healthy nervous system of a body. In some cases, it also works as a mild laxative and blood detoxifier.
· Vaidyaraj Harishankar S. Rasratnasamuchya, (vol. 1). Bhartiya Kala Prakashan.2006:41-44
· Pt. Shastri K, Dr. Chaturvedi G.Charaka Samhita, Chikitsa Sthan.2012:44-49