Aging is associated with an improved quality of life. For example, we become matured and efficient in whatever we do - be it professional work, managing our finances, maintaining good relations with our relatives and friends. It is believed that our sex lives decline with age as sex is considered to be a young person's domain.
However, a study says that the majority of older adults in the U.S. who grew up in the 1960s and 70s are sexually active and consider sex as a vital aspect of their lives. Sexual quality of life took a backseat for adults born in the 1930s due to their declining physical health and attitudes towards sex life.The research highlighted how the sexual quality of life was viewed differently by older adults as compared to younger adults. For example, thinking and efforts invested in sex were more important than the frequency of sex for older adults.
Here are some of the benefits of having sex for older adults:
- Sex has the power to reduce anxiety and burn fat.
- Sex can be a great way to connect with your partner and relive good old memories.
- Sex can add more years to your life as it is an excellent tool for improving physical and emotional health.
- Sex can strengthen your bond with your partner and give you the confidence to overlook the harsh challenges of life.
- No matter how old you are, the need for touch and intimacy is ageless.
Here are some tips to restart your stalled sex life:
- Have a positive mindset, and appreciate your older self.
- Encourage your partner to talk about sex playfully.
- Be honest in expressing to your partner how you hope to have sex.
- Arrange a romantic dinner and tell your partner what you still love about them.
- Do not worry about your performance. Let go of all the negative perceptions and just do it.
- If you or your partner have a medical problem, do not feel shy to consult a doctor. Once you have recovered well from your condition, you can regain control over your sexual life.