Men and their unwanted problems, right? If you are wondering what I am referring to, well, then it is quite straightforward. What goes hard and straight, at the wrong time and place? Of course, your penis. Even though penile erection is a sign of healthy genital functions in men, having an unannounced boner can be a little daunting at times, especially at the wrong time and place.
So how can men manage their unwanted erection in times of need? While orgasming is just one option, it is often necessary to be able to have some other options under your belt to take care of an erection.
Scientifically, there are three types of erection, namely:
Here are some ways to take care of your erections, and thereby reduce/avoid awkward moments:
- Self-distraction: Psychogenic erection is caused when one starts having arousal thoughts, which lead to an instant erection. To avoid such thoughts, one must divert his mind so that the brain is instantly distracted, and arousal thoughts are channelized into another direction. If you are also falling prey to unwanted sexual fantasies at the wrong time, try thinking about a scientific fact or your boss at work. It just might help you get rid of your erection in a public place.
- Wait it out: When nothing seems to work, waiting it out might work in your favour. The idea is to calmly and patiently wait out the time so that your erection subsides eventually. Couple this up with self-distraction and you might be able to achieve the unachievable.
- Orgasming: If you are getting frequent erections within a short period, then it is time to take matters into your hands, literally. Through a healthy ejaculation, you can vent out all the sexual feelings going on in your mind, and further smoothen out the kinks in your sexual fantasies.
- Take a cold shower: Possibly not the best solution, especially if you are in a public place. However, if a shower is handy, why not indulge in a nice cold bath? Be careful; if water is your place of comfort, then you might want to skip this option altogether, as it might arouse you more than you need at the given point of time.
- Meditate: Meditation has helped great minds through the times, and it can become the answer to your rising problem too (pun intended). While clearing out your mind, consciously is an excellent way to subside an erection, it might not always work, as the mind tends to go spiral back to the original thoughts again and again. Try meditating silently; chanting “Om” or imagining a serene place can help you focus your thoughts and transport yourself into another mental realm temporarily.
If you get frequent erections and are unable to control their frequency, you might want to visit a doctor and get his/her opinion on the issue at hand. While this might not mean there is something necessarily wrong with you, it is always best to get an expert’s advice to rule out any unwanted issues.
Medically reviewed by Rishabh Verma, RP