It's all a fishy affair, dear friends! Now your love and lust for fish can actually help you get pregnant faster. And by love, I don't mean a man's love or a woman's love for fish; it has to be a couple's love for seafood. Well, so if you are carnivorous and trying to get pregnant, it's time to give your taste buds a good dose of fishy flavors.
Recent research conducted by the researchers at Harvard on 501 couples who were trying to get pregnant and were not undertaking any infertility treatments, found that couples who both had at least 2 helping or more of seafood in a week, got pregnant faster. Yes, 91% of the couples who had eight servings or more of fish in each fertility circle got pregnant in a year, and 81% got pregnant in just six months! Also, it was seen that couples who had fish on the same day, had 39% higher chances of having intercourse that very day, than those who didn't! Sounds amazing, right? But before you rush off to buy some fish, here are the things you need to know about fish and its possible role in helping couples get pregnant faster:
1. Eat Low Mercury Fish: Low mercury fatty fish is usually rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Studies have shown omega 3 fatty acids play an essential role in improving the quality of your sperm as well as playing a vital role in ovulation. Avoid fish high in mercury such as shark, king mackerel, or the swordfish during or before pregnancy as high levels of mercury can affect fetus development.
2. Natural Aphrodisiac: Shellfish like oysters are known to have a reputation as a natural aphrodisiac. This could be mainly because these are a good source of Zinc, a mineral known to increase the levels of testosterone in the body, both for men and women. This leads to an increase in sex drive, leading to an increase in the chances of having sex by 22%. And as the obvious goes, the more sex you have, the more are your chances of getting pregnant faster.
3. Both Need to Eat Fish: The entire study, which shows that seafood helps you to get pregnant faster, is based on the fact that both have to eat fish. So if your partner loves fish and you don't, it's time to increase your love for the same and spend some quality time even if not cooking, but definitely eating fish together.
4. Don't Be a Miser: If you restrict your fish intake or fishy meals to maybe once a month, its unlikely you will be benefited from having fish. A minimum intake of 250gms of fish per week is definitely required with no upper limit. The more, the merrier!
5. Health Benefits: Also, one of the reasons that could lead fish-eating couples to get pregnant faster is that fish is amongst the healthiest foods available on this planet. It is loaded with essential nutrients like proteins, vitamin D, and is a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids. So making it a part of your diet, helps you to stay healthy, thereby boosting your fertility.
Although the above might all be possible explanations, there is no harm in actually making this super healthy food, a part of your meal, and hope for the best!
Research Source:Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism