Nowadays, men and women both suffer from infertility issues due to various reasons such as genetic factors, environment, physical and mental health conditions, sedentary lifestyle and nutritional status. Infertility is one of the main reasons for marital conflicts and growing cases of divorce in India. Male infertility means a man's inability to make a fertile woman pregnant and female infertility implies a woman's incapability to conceive a baby.
Common signs of male infertility include low sexual desires, pain or swelling in testicles, premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction. Male infertility is caused by problems or blockages in the organs that leads to low sperm production or low semen quality.
A study says that eating tomatoes can improve sperm health and help men overcome fertility issues. Researchers found that lycopene present in tomatoes can have a positive impact on the reproductive health of men and reduce the adverse effect of modern lifestyle on male fertility.
Lycopene is a plant nutrient having antioxidant properties that give tomatoes its red colour. Lycopene has many health benefits such as lowering cholesterol levels, protecting against certain types of cancer and heart ailments, promoting robust bone health, improving eyesight and memory.
Both men and women suffer from infertility issues as they age. It is believed that women find it difficult to conceive after the age of 35, whereas men's sperm quality decreases as they become older.
Here we discuss some natural ways to overcome fertility issues for both men and women:
- Include antioxidant-rich fruits, vegetables and nuts in your breakfast. Eating more calories in your breakfast and less during evening meals can boost your fertility.
- Keep yourself hydrated as water is vital for the good functioning of your body system, including fertility.
- Get enough sleep, do the right amount of exercise and eliminate stress with meditation and positive thinking. This can improve your overall health and maximize your fertility.
- Keep a check on your medications and avoid birth control pills as it can affect your hormone levels, causing hormonal imbalance and affecting the chances of becoming pregnant.
- Use a calendar or smartphone app to track your menstrual cycle and understand the best time to have sex. It is recommended to have sexual intercourse every alternate day during the fertile period as it increases the chances of conceiving.
- Stop smoking, avoid alcohol and drug use as it can lead to serious health issues that can harm fertility and reduce the chances of getting pregnant.
If you have been diagnosed with fertility issues, do not feel that you are alone. Do not become depressed about not being able to bear a child. The medical industry is coming up with many innovations in this field to ensure that you can start a family of your own despite having fertility problems. Do not be afraid to consult your family doctor and express your health concerns. Adoption is also a good option that you can explore if medicines fail to give you the desired solution.
Medically reviewed by Rishabh Verma, RP