Estrogen, the female sex hormone has its presence in the male body too. A moderate amount of estrogen is essential for the smooth functioning of the body. A balanced estrogen level can help the body in -
- Maintaining bone health
- Keeping cardiovascular health intact
- Mood regulation
- Prevention of Alzheimer
However, fluctuation in the level of estrogen can invite some serious health risks like -
- Increase in the chances of stroke
- Exposure to peripheral artery disease
- Chances of c-reactive protein deficiency
- Contribute towards prostate enlargement
- Contribute towards prostate cancer
- Increase in weight
- Risk of type 2 diabetes
Now that you are convinced that too much estrogen in men is a slow poison, you should pay some heed to what dietary and lifestyle habits lead to fluctuation in the blood level of estrogen.
- A decrease in the testosterone level with age
- Increased aromatase enzyme level that converts testosterone into estrogen
- Indulging in testosterone replacement therapy
- Chronic stress
- Excessive intake of refined carbs
- Exposure to endocrine disruptors, present in-home care and plastic products.
Just like the increase in estrogen level is a simple task and can happen with the habits and things you least expect to be harmful, controlling estrogen level is also an easy task. Cutting down on refined carbs and fats can significantly reduce estrogen levels in the body. Working out is another good way to reduce your estrogen level through some sweating. Moreover, taking proper care of your stomach and digestive system can also help you in keeping the estrogen level in control. Lastly, keeping a check on what you apply on your skin or use as an everyday item can also keep you at arms distance from a heart attack and prostate cancer. Skincare and lifestyle products that contain components like bisphenol A (BPA), polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs), phthalates, chlorpyrifos, methoxychlor, dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT) and tributyltin, are not suitable for your estrogen level.
Having a moderate estrogen level is vital for better health. However, too much of it is not suitable for you. And even if high estrogen level doesn’t push you towards heart strokes, prostate cancer or any other cardiovascular issue, it will definitely give you man boobs.
Medically reviewed by Rishabh Verma, RP