While patience is the key to longer hair, there are still some natural tips prevent hair loss and speed hair growth. Combined with a healthy diet and avoiding attacking the hair (violent brushing, heated straightening devices improperly used, elastic bands that are too tight, etc.), methods like a hot oil massage can also work wonders.
Hair loss and causes
The loss of few hair everyday is a natural phenomenon. ON an average, men lose 40 hair strands per day while women lose about 70. New hair grows after this fallout. However, if the falling hair is not replaced by new hair or the number of strands you lose per day exceeds the average, it is a matter of concern.
Also read: 5 tips to regrow hair naturally
Falling under the dermatological disorder category, hair loss or alopecia has been plaguing humans for thousands of years. Analogous with baldness, it involves absence or loss of hair, especially from the head region, and is known to affect anywhere from approximately 0.2% to 2% of the world’s population. Stress, infections, endocrine malfunctions, genetics, and neuro-circulation instability are known to cause alopecia. Also, hair loss can be the result of using anticancer drugs, immunosuppressants, and other drug treatments.
Click here to try India's first Ayurvedic hair growth pack designed for men.
Three hot oil massage techniques to promote hair growth
To promote hair growth, there are three scalp massage techniques to focus on.
- The first is the mobilization massage. It is about putting the pads of the fingers on the head. With your fingers slightly apart, you should press down hard and rotate or move back and forth. Move the fingers and repeat the same gestures on another part of the scalp. It takes about a minute.
- The second technique is massage in pinches. To perform this massage correctly, you must place your hands 2 cm apart and have your fingers tight. As you go, bring the fingers of both hands together to pinch the scalp. About 30 seconds is enough!
- The third technique is the cupping massage. This involves placing the hands one on top of the other, covering the lower hand well with the upper one. You need to exert a strong enough pressure by bringing the two palms with knuckles together in a single movement. You should feel a sensation of "sucking" from the scalp.
The preferred hot massage oils for hair growth
To promote hair growth, you can turn to specific hair products. There are many that make hair grow faster. Among these products, the oils are unanimous. In addition to allowing a more effective massage, they have the advantage of offering many benefits.
Some of the best hot oils for hair massage are the ones with an abundance of fatty acids.
- Coconut oil and castor oil are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Massaging the scalp with either of the oil is known to keep away split ends and dandruff. Besides, they also act as great conditioners and keep scalp infections at bay.
- If you are into aromatic hot oil massages, then almond oil is the best option. The magnesium found in almond oil prevents hair fall and treats scalp inflammation.
- In case you are suffering from dry and damaged hair, then a hot olive oil massage leaves your hair soft and silky by moisturizing the hair. The antioxidant and vitamin E present in the oil also protects the hair from thinning and premature greying.
Benefits of hot oil massage for hair
You can benefit from a scalp massage at a spa, hair salons or even in the comfort of your home. Hair and scalp experts recommend having a scalp massage at least once a week.
Discover the benefits of hot oil massage in the fight against stress and preventing hair loss.
Increases healthy hair growth
Massages nourish the hair deeply and are important for its regrowth as it promotes the production of nutrients for the hair. When performing a head massage with hot oil, it strengthens and stimulates the blood supply to the hair follicle, where the hair forms and grows.
Strengthen hair roots
The daily stress is known to block adequate blood flow to the scalp and thus hair follicles and roots remain undernourished. This is one of the causes of hair fall and thinning. A scalp massage with hot oil helps improve blood circulation which promotes hair growth. The roots receive the necessary nutrients and result in a thicker mane.
Prevents the appearance of dandruff
Massaging the scalp can also relieve itching, which prevents ‘flakes’ that can be caused by a microscopic organism, pityriasis. This fungus is present on the scalp, but it usually remains inactive. Certain elements will activate dandruff such as a hormonal imbalance, a change in pH (acidity) of the scalp or a genetic predisposition that would trigger its proliferation. If oil is used while massaging the scalp, it can also help prevent dandruff.
Hot oil massages are also known to relax the mind and release stress. This is because a generous massage can improve serotonin and dopamine levels in the body. A study reveals that a head massage can increase serotonin levels increase by almost 28% and dopamine levels by about 31%. Thus, a hot oil massage means better mood.
Tips for a successful hot oil massage
For the scalp massage to be successful, it is essential to follow a few tips.
- First of all, it is essential not to get tired. For this, you can put your elbows on a table to have more strength and feel less muscle pain in the arms.
- It is also important to adapt the frequency of massages to the nature of her hair.
- If you have dry hair, you can give yourself a massage every day.
- For normal hair, massage three times a week is recommended.
- If you have oily hair, it is recommended to perform a massage twice a week, before shampooing.
- On dry hair, you can follow the movements. You should know that a session should never exceed three minutes.
During or after the massage, do not panic if you observe a small loss of hair. It is simply "dead hair" ready to fall out anytime.
Hair fall is a universal problem affecting both genders. Before solving hair fall problems through the use of medications, do give the natural remedy of hot oil massage a chance. Choose an oil depending on the need and see the magic unfold.
Medically reviewed by Rishabh Verma, RP