The desire for sex is never constant. It changes periodically. Sex is veiled by different taboos, customs, and ideologies. Couples hesitate to talk about their sexual relations. However, if both are on the same page, there is no need to be regretful.
An intimate relationship isn’t always an indicator of a happy relationship. A lot many couples have a phenomenal relationship without having sex. And not choosing to have sex is their choice.
Not choosing to have sex is termed as Celibacy. Choosing to live as a celibate is due to trauma from past relationships, trust issues, religious beliefs, or maybe haven’t found ‘the one’.
The Benefits of having sex!
Sex has a positive effect on your relationship and your overall health. Here are a few added advantages of having sex:
- Mental health: Sex keeps all the stress away. It manages your anxiety and reinforces your trust in your relationship. It provides you with the needed security and safety you need to feel with your partner. Less stress will lower down the risk of heart diseases.
- Body: Fulfilment of sexual desire regulates the level of oxytocin (the love hormone). Regular ejaculation in males helps to maintain prostate function and quality of the sperms. In females, sex strengthens the pelvic floor and improves bladder function.
- Immunity: Sex boosts your natural immunity by releasing Endorphins in large quantities.
- Keeps you Active: Sex is the best form of work out for those who cannot take time out of their busy schedule.
The Benefits of not having sex!
Not having sex isn’t bad either. But abstaining from sex involuntary affects your mental health unfavourably. A sexless relationship is not a disease. It can be a mere break. A sexless relationship has its advantages too-
- Taking a break from sex provides you clarity of the mind and improves your focus. It gives you unbiased thinking.
- Helps you build an eloquent connection with your partner.
- Open doors to other possibilities that you can explore with each other.
- No chances of sexually transmitted diseases. Relevant enough!!
- Not taking stress over erection dysfunction or partner’s satisfaction.
The idea of having sex is two people should have sex when they want it, not per societal norms. Questioning yourself about your sexual behaviour can affect your confidence and trigger depression. Lack of sex can bring resentment and infidelity in the relationship.
The problem arises in a sexual relationship when both partners have different libido. Open communication is the cornerstone of every relationship. If you are finding it difficult to speak to your partner, seek couple counselling.
A therapist can establish the lost communication between you two and brings you in complete agreement. Abstaining from sex due to any sexual dysfunction requires immediate medical attention.
Medically reviewed by Rishabh Verma, RP