Are you spending a lot of time reminiscing the sex drive of your teenage years? A sex machine during your teens and twenties, if you now don’t find sex as interesting as it was before, read on to see how you can get back to the groove.
It is normal for men to lose their sex drive with age. Your sex drive is at the peak during the twenties and thirties. It starts to wane as you near your forties. It becomes almost non-existent in your seventies. Low libido might be due to various psychological and physical problems. However, there is no need to hit the panic button yet. There are ways you can increase your sex drive as you grow older.
1. Relook at your relationship: Relationships have a major effect on your libido. A troubled relationship with your partner might be one of the reasons for low sex drive. Talk to your partner or a counsellor to get your relationship back on track. If you are in a happy relationship, discuss with your partner the different ways you can get your libido up. Sometimes going back over time and restarting the relationship does wonders for the libido- go on a date, watch porn together, talk dirty or anything else that works.
2. Reflect on your emotional status: Anxiety, stress and depression rank high as the reasons for low sex drive. Meditate, do yoga, exercise regularly, and make sure to sleep for 7-8 hours. Seek a counsellor to handle if all fails.
3. Include aphrodisiacs in your diet: Lot of food that is available in your pantry are known aphrodisiacs and help increase your sex drive. Figs, bananas, cloves, dark chocolate, avocados, watermelon, and chilli peppers are a few of them.
4. Increase Testosterone: Testosterone is the hormone responsible for the male sex characteristics, and also the libido. Production of this hormone decreases with age. Taking steps to increase the testosterone levels in your body will go a long way in boosting your libido. A diet of low carb, high protein and moderate essential fats can boost the testosterone. Making Brazil nuts, pomegranates, broccoli and cauliflower a part of your daily intake can significantly increase the testosterone. Doing rigorous exercises in the gym also shoots up the testosterone.
5. Cut down on alcohol and smoking: Smoking not only ruins your general well-being, but it also ruins your sex drive. It is advisable to quit smoking once you reach 40. Also, reduce your intake of alcohol to boost your libido.
6. Take natural supplements: Natural herbs like ginseng, fenugreek and ashwagandha are known to increase the sex drive. Supplements like acetyl L-carnitine, L-arginine, L-citrulline, Vitamin D, Zinc supplements and DHEA are also used to boost the libido. However, do consult a professional before taking these supplements.
7. Change Prescriptions: Some medications for diabetes, blood pressure control, or antidepressants are known to reduce the sex drive. Ask your doctor for a change in the prescription if it is possible.