Acne is a widespread ailment that many of us are suffering from, and it is a common source of guilt and embarrassment. It reminds us of our insecurities, and we keep on losing our self-confidence.
Acne is basically an inflammatory reaction on the skin to various triggers.
It is much common in teenagers and adolescents but can affect any age group.
Men having facial acne suffer from serious psychological effects that affect their daily functioning. One can understand the insecurity of stepping out of your home or college for work, with those red marks on the face.
Let’s know what may be the reasons that you are getting acne:
- Stress plays a very pivotal role in the development of acne. The reason behind this is that stress causes a hormonal imbalance in the body and releases stress fight and flight hormones, which are responsible for an inflammatory cascade in the body. In today’s era of technological advances and hunger for being successful, we often tend to forget about our health and are constantly involved in the race to become successful. Our eating habits are all messed up, and on top of that, people are engaged in unhealthy practices like smoking and alcohol consumption. This all acts as physical stress to the body, and hence the vicious cycle continues.
- High sugar intake- acne is caused by the activity of propionic bacterium acne bacteria. This bacteria feeds on sugar and thrives when the sugar levels in the blood are high.
- Using comedogenic cosmetic products- before telling you about these products, I must tell you about the pathogenesis of acne. Acne is caused by the blockage of the sebaceous glands by the dirty keratinous material that blocks the pores. Comedones are formed, and they block the pore. You might be familiar with or might have heard about blackheads or whiteheads. Blackheads are open comedones, and they rarely cause acne, but whiteheads are closed comedones and are responsible for the majority of acne. So, there are few cosmetic products available in the market that are comedogenic i.e.; they can lead to the formation of the comedones and hence acne. Before buying any facial cream, make sure you check the back label of the product where the ingredients are mentioned. Always prefer products that have the label stating non-comedogenic.
What can you do to get rid of acne?
- Avoid over scrubbing your face because it can mechanically break the comedones and hence lead to a breakout.
- Avoid using oily products on your face right before stepping out of your home even if your skin is dry because it can attract all the dust and hence lead to more breakouts.
- Try using topical anti-acne creams available like benzoyl peroxide, topical retinoid cream, azelaic acid, clindamycin gel, etc.
- If your symptoms do not improve after using these creams or gels, then you can try out oral medications like doxycycline or minocycline. But remember, they may have unfavorable side effects. So, always consult your doctor before consuming these medications.
- Try to reduce the stress levels by decluttering your life and try taking deep breaths in a stressful situation and learn how to meditate as meditation is a proven method to reduce stress. It makes your mindset positive and brings calm to your life.
- Try cutting down sugar and dairy products as they may the culprits behind your acne.
Medically reviewed by Rishabh Verma, RP