Typically we lose around 50-100 strands a day due to the end of the lifecycle of the hair. It should become a cause of worry when the count exceeds this to an abnormally high level. The cause of hair loss may be due to hormonal changes, bad habits, stress, unhealthy diet, thyroid problems, some medications, etc. Whatever be the cause, hair loss can be prevented.
1) Massage: Massaging the scalp increases the blood flow to the hair follicles and strengthens the hair roots. Treating your hair with an oil massage not only prevents dandruff but also relieves you of stress-both of which are causes for hair loss. Massaging twice or thrice a week with herbal oils like coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, and essential oils like lavender oil, rosemary oil prevents the scalp from infections and also controls the hormone DTH responsible for hair loss.
2) Healthy Diet: Nutrients are the foundations for healthy hair. A balanced diet does wonder for the hair. Food rich in omega-3 fatty acids like salmon, sardines, flaxseeds, and walnuts enrich the hair follicles and make the hair more elastic preventing them from breaking easily. Eating spinach, pumpkin, and nuts that are rich in zinc help in balancing the testosterone levels, too much of which can cause hair loss. Including eggs, meat, milk, and yogurt which are rich in protein prevents hair loss and graying of hair.
3) Herbs: If diet and massage haven’t helped, then maybe herbs might. Bhringaraj, the ayurvedic herb used in the form of oils prevents hair loss and premature greying. Consuming Indian Gooseberry or Amla directly or massaging the scalp with its oil, prevents hair loss. Ghritkumari or aloe vera eradicates dead cells from the scalp that prevent nutrients from reaching the hair follicles. It also balances the hair’s pH level for optimum hair growth.
4) Manage Stress: Find out the reason for your stress and come up with ways to reduce it. Meditation, yoga, and exercise is known to reduce stress
5) Medications: If the above home remedies haven’t worked then medications like Minoxidil(known by name Rogaine) and Finasteride(also known as Propecia) can be used to prevent excessive hair loss. They work by increasing the blood flow to the hair follicles and blocking the absorption of DHT.
6) Hair Treatments: You can undergo hair transplants with follicles or hair transplants with underlying tissues to treat hair loss, though these are pretty heavy on the pockets. Platelet-Rich Plasma is another method where they draw your blood, separate the plasma and inject it around the head. Platelets are known to stimulate the hair follicles to begin a new growth cycle.
Hair loss is the most common symptom of many health conditions. There are a lot many options available that stop hair loss and help regrow your hair to a certain extent. Choose the one that is most suitable for you.